Phi Gamma Delta was founded on May 1, 1848 by six men: Samuel Beatty Wilson, John Templeton McCarty, Ellis Bailey Gregg, Daniel Webster Crofts, James Elliot Jr., and Naaman Fletcher. The fraternity was founded at Jefferson College in Cannonsburg, Pennsylvania. Fiji expanded from these humble beginnings to include more than 170,000 members, with chapters on 123 campuses and colonies on a further 21.
The National Phi Gamma Delta headquarters are located at 1201 Red Mile Road Lexington, Kentucky, which staffs 25 members of the Phi Gamma Delta Educational Foundation, as well as a museum, library, and living quarters for Phi Gamma Delta field secretaries.
The current International Headquarters building at 1201 Red Mile Road was completed and occupied in May 1985. Brothers, pledges, and family members are encouraged to visit the International Headquarters whenever visiting the area.
You can visit the International Phi Gam website at www.phigam.org.
The official color of the fraternity is royal purple. Also, Phi Gamma Delta has two official nicknames: "Fiji" and "Phi Gam".
The recognition badge:
The official crest:
the official flower of Phi Gamma Delta is the purple clematis, and the official mascot is the snow owl: